After returning from a week at Deposition School in Colorado (sidenote: young litigators, DO THIS PROGRAM. It’s incredible, and while trial skills are great, you’ll be in a lot more depositions than trials, so it’s a lot more practical), and having a week that was nonstop nonstop nonstop, I declared yesterday “Pajama Day.” I’m not good at sitting still and doing nothing. There’s always a to do list forming in my brain, and I’m one of those strange people who feels relaxed by crossing things off that list. In contrast, being idle and letting things sit on that list stresses me out.
Here’s the list of things I managed to do yesterday on my day of relaxing:
- Cook breakfast for the family (huevos rancheros & toast).
- Finish a book that is due back to the library today.
- Put away 2 clean, folded baskets full of laundry that I’ve been ignoring for the last week.
- Wash, dry, fold and PUT AWAY 3 more baskets of laundry (you KNOW the putting away is the hard part).
- Watch Muppets Christmas Carol twice.
- Sleep on the couch while Baby Beez watched Sword in the Stone.
- Watch Return to Oz with the family and live tweet my horror at what a screwed up movie it was and how on earth did I not remember that?
- Cook dinner for the family (steak & corn).
- Boil beets and roast carrots and potatoes, all of which had been sitting in the fridge waiting to be used since lord knows when.
- Read 3 magazines, thereby diminishing the pile of magazines that has been growing and stressing me out because I ridiculously feel like I’m falling behind on something if I let the magazines pile up.
- Ruminate on New Years Resolutions.
- Eat delicious ice cream.
- “Play” with the bird. And by play I mean let her run around the bathroom and bedroom while I did other chores, and make sure she didn’t destroy or poop on anything.
- Yell at husband to get the fireplace lit.
- Troubleshoot fireplace when it wouldn’t turn on.
- Yell at husband some more.
- Text handyman about fireplace.
- Praise husband when he figured it out and fireplace was roaring with a lovely fire.
- Mutter curses when we realized we have to troubleshoot the fireplace even more, because it shut itself off after 20 minutes.
- Reviewed contents of fridge and cabinets and wrote grocery list.
- Picked up a new book and got through the first chapter.
And ridiculously, I feel incredibly relaxed after yesterday. Today is fairly similar– we aren’t running around to events. This morning I’m doing a couple chores, and then I’m taking Baby Beez to the park so she can ride her bike. Tonight we are having some friends over for dinner, which means that this morning I got to partake in one of my absolute favorite activites: Picking out what we will order from the Kavsar menu (THE BEST!)