I am bored and disinterested in the Republican Primaries. The only thing that has kept my radio dial on NPR the last several weeks has been the fascinating Russia by Rail series. You can listen to or read the whole series at that link, but note that they come up most-recent first, so you should scroll to the bottom to start from the beginning.
NPR Correspondent David Greene took the 6,000 mile journey on the Trans-Siberian Railway from Moscow to Vladivostok. Trains and cold places are not my favorite things, but the series is so fascinating that it even makes me want to take that trip! My next trip is such a long time off (Las Vegas in February…but that’s more to visit family and less of a “vacation”, and Paris in July), so I am living vicariously through Greene’s adventure. I poked around online and found that WikiTravel provides great information on how to plan a trip on the Trans-Siberian Railway. Maybe someday!
Right now my adventure vacation wish list is:
- Machu Picchu (I would probably take the train, I’m not convinced I’d enjoy hiking the Inca trail)
- One of those cruises that goes around Cape Horn (from Chile to Argentina or vice versa) and makes a stop in Antarctica
- Costa Rica
- Travel the Ring Road in Iceland,
- I’d love to go back to Spain to visit Barcelona again and also check out Madrid
- I’d love to go back to Germany sometime in the winter to visit the Christmas Markets.
What’s on your vacation wish list?