I just got back home from the Pennsylvania Conference for Women– what an AMAZING experience! I’ll have more to say once I’ve had a few minutes to collect my thoughts, but for now suffice it to say that in comparison to the BlogHer conference when I felt like I didn’t quite “fit in,” the women at the Penn Women conference are exactly the kind of women I seek to surround myself with. These women are intelligent, ambitious and driven. They take their careers seriously, and strive to be leaders and mentors. What an inspiration!
The biggest treat of the day was Sonia Sanchez sharing her poetry. Her poetry stars as a story, then the words surround you, and you see every word she speaks. Her art is so beautiful.
These are the gems of wisdom I collected today:
- You sell yourself first, your company second, and your product third.
- Your failures may be precisely what you need in order for everything else to go right.
- Failure is the stepping stone to success.
- Make the best first impression, you do not have an opportunity to make a good second impression.
- Carry yourself like you know where you’re going.
- Guard your reputation, it is your life.
- One of the gifts of a bad economy is that we are forced to be really creative.
- What happens to our best work in the world really isn’t up to us.
- You have that moment where you have a weight to lift that is unbearable. And in that moment, you have two decisions: You either lift it, or you don’t.
- Learn to speak clearly, memorably, and persuasively.
- Leadership is having the quality of persuading others to follow you.
- You are not the same person at work as you are at home. Accept that and be liberated.